Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Am Committed

Or perhaps I should be committed...

I noticed I had not posted an update since September 2009 and it's been bothering me quite a bit that I have overlooked these updates. Admittedly, I fell off my fitness program somewhere around July 2009 and have fought to regain my sanity and my committment to fitness. I am now ready to throw my hat back in the ring (or my weights back on the bar) and up my workouts so I can get back to the level of fitness and physical appearance that I was enjoying a year ago. I know I can do it!

Most people give up eating right and working out when they achieve their goal weight or level of fitness because they don't realize how important it is for all the components to work together. I knew how important it is but still let myself get off track. Identifying the problem is the first step and I just want to let anyone else having issues with staying committed to know it happens to everyone at some point. Some folks just get further off track than others.

It's a simple equation:

Great nutrition + Fat-burning cardio + Muscle building weght training = A lean strong body

My commitment to myself is for a 30 to 45-minute fat-burning cardio session every morning with an extra 30-minute PM session at least three days a week. Weight training will be spread out to four to five sessions per week. My husband, Allan, would like to get in better shape and has obtained the P90X workout DVD series and I would like to incorporate his workout into my daily routine. I may have to adjust my weight training schedule or intensity in order to not over work my muscles, but it is important for me to be his cheerleader and ride his ass like Jillian does the contestants of 'Biggest Loser'.

The last component of the commitment is nutrition. This was my biggest fail. I was so driven to eat correctly that I stop enjoying food and when I allowed myself some leeway it became too easy to give myself a cheat meal every day, and then every meal became a cheat meal. It's not difficult to eat right even when I am on the road or away on a photo shoot all day. I just have to remind myself of how I want to feel and look and I can get my healthful ways back. Allan might not be too happy about the lack of tasty snacks and delicious ice cream in the house but he will thank me for it later when he feels good and looks better.

One other stumbling block has been my depression. Nobody ever wants to admit they are depressed, so I was reluctant to admit it had laid its black cloud over me, but it did and I have to deal with it. The details are rather personal, so I won't divulge them here, but just know that it's OK to have stumbling blocks and it's OK to drive off your trail into territory that you didn't intend to travel. Just get out the GPS of your body, mind, soul and spirit and find your way back. Turn to your family and friends and those in your communities- both physical and cyber- to help get you back on track to becoming the person you want to be. I will be posting updates on a more regular basis (not the daily updates of the Transformation Challenge), but perhaps at least weekly so I can track my progress, identify my weaknesses and keep myself focused on success. Feel free to drop by and check on me. I have included some links below you may find interesting, or not.

I leave you with a refresher of my before (December 2008) and after (May 2009) images...
December 2008
May 2009

Check out these links to find out more about me, what I do and how I am progressing with my personal fitness challenge. You can be my cheerleader!

No comments:

Post a Comment